Are you ready to be a part of a program that allows you to step out of the classroom today and into a job tomorrow? Do you want to learn from faculty who are Fulbright scholars and Pulitzer-Prize winning professionals? Celebrating more than 100 years of journalism education, we are recognized as one of the best in the nation. Our program is one of the few in the country that has been continuously reaccredited since 1949.
With a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Journalism from MSU, you can become an expert in written or visual forms for publishing news and other information on the web, mobile apps, social media, magazines, newspapers, books, radio, TV, public relations and other media. Whatever way consumers get their news and information, journalists provide the content and storytelling in words and/or visuals.
Students may go different routes for written, visual or audio communications in media:
- Choose writing courses on many topics, such as features and human interests, sports, environment, science, health, entertainment, public affairs, international, public relations and more.
- Select classes for visual or audio content in video, broadcast, documentary, photography, design, information graphics, animation and comics.
- Learn to be creative and entrepreneurial, and learn how to promote you and your work to different audiences, using various media.
You can work on various student-produced media, including radio and TV shows, become a member of student organizations, have internships, win tons of professional awards and get job offers.
Using the nation’s newest, state-of-the-art newsroom, students produce stories for news websites and for radio and TV news shows. Some students create stories with avatars and virtual reality and learn motion capture to place audiences inside issues and events.
Our students learn valuable storytelling skills across media, and become critical thinkers, excellent writers and superb visual communicators. You will be prepared for the future of media and to be a leader in the field because of your flexibility. You can become an effective communicator in almost any industry.
The undergraduate program is a Bachelor of Arts in Journalism degree with thematic areas for:
- Writing, Reporting and Editing
- Broadcast Journalism
- Environment, Science and Health
- International Reporting
- Sports Journalism
- Media Design
- Media Relations
- Information Graphics
- Journalism Education
Students can choose optional minors in:
- Animation and Comics
- Public Relations
- Documentary Production
- Entrepreneurship and Innovation
- Sales Leadership
Have questions or need more information? Schedule an appointment with your advisor.