If you're a current Advertising undergraduate student looking to get your Master's degree, the Linked Bachelor's-Master's in Advertising program is a way to do it with only 21 additional credits (3 semesters).
Linked Advertising students may choose one of two Master of Arts programs in the department: Advertising or Public Relations (students may also apply for the college level M.A. program, Health and Risk Communication).
Both departmental level programs provide an intensive professional preparation for careers in these fields. Coursework focuses on the general principles and practices underlying all advertising and public relations activities, as well as specialized areas of social media, management, media planning, consumer behavior, social marketing or research.
Admission to the linked program allows the application of up to 9 credits toward the Master’s program for qualifying 400-level and above coursework taken at the undergraduate level at Michigan State University or an external accredited institution.
The Department welcomes applications from Michigan State University undergraduate Advertising majors with at least 86 credits and a minimum 3.5 overall GPA. Admission applications must be made prior to the final semester as an Advertising undergraduate. The number of approved credits, not to exceed 9, is applied toward the credit requirement of the Master’s degree. No 400-level courses with a grade lower than 3.0 will count toward the Master’s degree. An ADV 400-level course can only be counted toward your MA program if it is taken after you have been admitted to the BA-MA linked program (you cannot count 400-level courses completed in earlier semesters. Credits obtained from 400-level pass-fail courses and internships will not count toward the degree. Credits applied to the linked program are not eligible to be applied to any other graduate degree program.
Students in the program take courses focused on:
- Consumer behavior theories
- Advertising and promotions management
- Advertising and society
- Quantitative research methods
- Marketing management
- Public relations management
- Public relations theories
- Media relations
Admission to the program requires a minimum undergraduate grade point average of 3.5 and completion of 86 or more credits. Admission information is found on the graduate application page.
The applicant must submit:
- A Graduate school application.
- Official copy of all transcripts.
- At least two letters of recommendation from Department of Advertising + Public Relations faculty members, plus one other that can be from a faculty member from another department or a work supervisor.
- A statement of purpose outlining academic and professional goals (be sure to note you are interested in the Linked B.A.-M.A. program).
- A personal statement (you could discuss any challenges you have encountered and overcome).
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores (we prefer scores above the 50th percentile).
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores, if international (unless you have attended MSU for all four years).
- A resume.
Questions? Advertising majors meeting eligibility requirements should contact:
Academic Programs Coordinator
Dr. Kjerstin Thorson
Director of Graduate Studies