How many RCR hours do I need each year?
RCR requirements differ depending on the program. Please see the various requirement tabs to view your program-specific requirements.

I'm a Linked BA-MA student, so when do I have to start the RCR requirements? You will begin your RCR requirements the first semester you are linked to the graduate program while you are still completing your undergraduate requirements and starting graduate program.
How are the new RCR requirements different than the old ones?
The new requirements incorporate an online component. In addition to attending in-person discussion sessions, students will now need to complete online training modules through the CITI system.
I’m not working on funded research. Do I still need to participate in RCR training?
Yes. Although the requirements vary by program, all CAS graduate students are required to participate in some RCR training. Those participating in funded research will require more.
If I was enrolled at MSU before the policy change, do I need to follow the new policy?
Yes. All students, including those who were enrolled before this year’s policy change, must follow the new policy.
What is SABA?
In the past, various units across MSU have tracked training in different ways, meaning students were required to utilize various systems. In an effort to integrate this tracking, the SABA system was created. All RCR tracking will now take place through SABA. More information is available here: https://ora.msu.edu/new-saba-learning-management-system-lms.
What is CITI?
CITI is the online system that houses the required online training modules. Information on completed courses will be automatically uploaded from CITI to the SABA system on Fridays. More information is available here: https://ora.msu.edu/CITI-RCR-registration.
Will my RCR hours from before the policy change transfer to the new tracking system?
Yes! All of the information from the old tracking system has been transferred over, or will be shortly, to SABA. Students should be able to view their RCR hours from before the system change.  If you find items missing please contact your Academic Programs Coordinator with dates and title of missing training. The Academic Programs Coordinator will contact the lead staff for RCR regarding the issue of missing documentation.

How do I register for RCR training? You will register online through the SABA system for University or CAS sponsored training.  https://ora.msu.edu/new-saba-learning-management-system-lms. Please remember when you attend the event to bring your MSU ID card for registration is made by "swiping your card". 

I don't have an MSU ID card.  If you do not have a MSU ID card please go now to the MSU ID Office, International Center, 427 N. Shaw Lane, Room 170, East Lansing, MI 48824. Their hours are Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Phone: (517) 355-4500. Email: idoffice@msu.edu

Why does my SABA registration show my Academic Programs Coordinator's name as the one who registered me or linked to me? You are linked in SABA to your Academic Programs Coordinator so that they can track your progress in the RCR requirements.