Application Deadline: May 1 for Fall admission
Admission is determined by the Health and Risk Communication Master's Affairs Committee. Selection criteria emphasizes grade point average, coursework, GRE, TOEFL for international students, letters of recommendation and student's academic interests.
Step 1: Complete the Online MSU Graduate School Application and pay the fee
The fee is $65 for domestic students and $75 for international students and can be paid with credit card, check (U.S. funds) or money order (see application for details). Please remember to write down the application ID number because it is needed for the next step.
Step 2: Upload the following documents through the MSU Application Portal
The MSU Graduate Application system will require online submission of the following (no hardcopies of the following will be accepted):
- List Two Recommenders’ Names and their email addresses: Recommenders should be persons familiar with your academic and/or professional work and are willing to assess your aptitude for graduate work. Once you have listed your recommenders and their email addresses the system will generate an email to your recommenders explaining the process to submit their letters electronically (NO HARDCOPIES accepted).
- An Academic Statement: A concise academic statement of your plans for graduate study, your career goals, and how Michigan State's Health and Risk Communication Master's program will help you meet your career and educational objectives.
- A Personal Statement: A concise personal statement about how your background and life experiences, including social, economic, cultural, familial, education, or other opportunities or challenges motivated your decision to pursue a graduate degree.
- A Resume: Include all activities that account for your time since earning a bachelor's degree (e.g. employment, military service, travel). Be sure to include the type of activity, name of employer, city/state, and dates. List the most recent activity first. Also, include all relevant professional experiences, locations and dates.
- For International Applicants only - Statement of Financial Proof and Official Bank Statement: For further information please visit the website Statement of Financial Proof, or contact the Office of Admissions at 517-355-8332.
Step 3: Send the Documents Listed Below Directly to the HRC Academic Programs Office:
- One official transcript from each university or college attended. Mailed directly from the university/college to the Health and Risk Communication Masters Program, 404 Wilson Road, 472 Communication Arts and Sciences, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824-1212. NO copies of transcripts will be accepted, only original transcripts sent directly from the university/college to the address above.
- Note for Chinese applicants only: An applicant will need to use CDGDC for a transcript used for application and again for the degree-granting transcript. And as with transcripts from all international applicants they must be sent directly from the CDGDC with the express mail waybill that comes with the documents from CDGDC.
Step 4: Request that ETS Send the Documents Listed Below to the University in an Electronic Format:
- Graduate Record Examination Scores (GRE): When submitting scores please use the university code of 1465, no department code necessary.
- Note for International Applicants ONLY:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): Internet based test an average of 93 minimum with no sub-scores below 21. When submitting scores please use the university code of 1465 (no department code) and submit directly to the Office of Admissions, 250 Administration Bldg., Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824.
Step 5: Track the Status of your Application Online Using the University Application Portal.
This includes tracking of all submitted documents. We strive to update the system regularly but during high volume times we ask for your patience.
Questions? Additional information about the Master's in Health and Risk Communication Program may be obtained from:
Academic Programs Coordinator
404 Wilson Rd., 472 ComArtSci
East Lansing, MI 48824