This is for students in the information studies or games studies program as well as those completing their M&I bachelor’s.
If you're an undergraduate student currently pursuing a Bachelor's Degree in Games Studies or Information Studies, the Linked Bachelor’s-Master’s in Media and Information program allows you the opportunity to count a number of your 400-level undergraduate information and media courses toward a Master's Degree in Media and Information (MI).
The number of Media and Information majors admitted into the linked B.A.-M.A. degree program will be limited by availability. Admission to the B.A.-M.A. linked program allows the application of up to 9 credits toward the Master’s program for qualifying 400-level and above coursework taken at the undergraduate level at Michigan State University or an external, accredited institution.
The number of approved credits, not to exceed 9, are applied toward the credit requirement of the M.A. degree. No 400-level courses with a grade lower than 3.0 will count toward the Master’s degree. Credits obtained from 400-level Pass/Fail courses and internships will not count toward the Master's degree. Credits applied to the B.A.-M.A. linked program cannot be applied to another graduate degree program at Michigan State University.
To be admitted to the Human Computer Interaction (HCI) Concentration, applicants are strongly encouraged to have already completed CAS204, MI331, MI349 and MI359 obtaining a grade of at least 3.0 in each of these courses.
To be admitted to the Media and Information Management (MIM) Concentration, applicants are strongly encouraged to have already completed MI300, MI355, MI361 and MI452.
To apply to the linked B.A.-M.A. degree program, please follow the information below:
- Submit a graduate school application.
- Start Date: Please ensure to indicate the final semester of your undergraduate studies in Media and Information as the start date of your Linked B.A.-M.A. degree studies.
- Personal Statement: Please ensure to indicate that you are applying for the B.A.-M.A. linked program, along with your preferred Concentration (HCI or MIM).
- Letters of Recommendation: At least 2 of the 3 must be submitted by MI Faculty.
- GPA: A minimum 3.5 is required.
- Transcripts:You do not need to submit your university transcripts, as the department will request them from MSU’s Office of the Registrar directly on your behalf.
- Application Deadline:You must apply prior to the start of your final semester of your undergraduate studies in Media and Information, and be in the process of completing at least 86 credits. It is recommended you apply by the middle of your second-to-last semester in your undergraduate studies in Media and Information.
If you are a current Media and Information undergraduate student, this program will allow you to complete the required coursework in just one year, and may also result in significant cost savings in both direct (e.g., tuition fees) and indirect (e.g., housing) expenses during your studies. In addition, if you have a higher minimum GPA (see further below) and two of the three letters of recommendation coming from faculty in the Department of Media and Information, the GRE test requirement is waived.
Questions? Media and Information majors meeting eligibility requirements should contact:
Director of Graduate Studies
Room 409, ComArtSci Building
Academic Programs Coordinator
Room 425, ComArtSci Building