Admission is determined by the Communication Master's Affairs Committee. The selection criteria employed places emphasis on grade point average, coursework, GRE, TOEFL for international students, letters of recommendation and student's academic interests. Note: For Fall 2021 admission review we are waiving the GRE.
Our FAQ page may have the answers.
1. Complete the Online MSU Graduate School Applicationand pay application fee.
The fee is $65 for domestic students and $75 for international students and can be paid with credit card, check (U.S. funds) or money order (see application for details). Please remember to write down the application ID number because it is needed for the next step.
2. Upload the following through the application portal:
- List three (3) recommenders and their email addresses. List persons familiar with your academic or professional work who are willing to assess your aptitude for graduate studies. Once listed, the system will generate an email to your recommenders explaining the process to submit their letters online (no hardcopies accepted).
- An academic statement: A concise statement of your plans for graduate study, your career goals and how MSU's Communication M.A. program will help you meet your career and educational objectives.
- A personal statement: A concise statement about how your background and life experiences, including social, economic, cultural, familial, educational, or other opportunities or challenges, motivated your decision to pursue a graduate degree.
- A resume or vita.
- For International Applicants only - Statement of financial proof and a bank statement: For further information please visit the website Statement of Financial Proof, or contact the Office of Admissions at 517-355-8332.
3. Send the following materials to the Communication Academic Programs,404 Wilson Road, 472 Communication Arts & Sciences, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824-1212.
- One official transcript and degree certification documents for all university course work sent directly to the department from the university/colleges involved.
4. Report the following directly to the MSU Office of Admissions:
- Graduate Record Examination scores (GRE): when submitting scores please use the university code of 1465, no department code necessary.
- Official TOEFL scores (International Applicants ONLY): Your scores should be an average of 93 minimum with no sub-scores below 21. When submitting scores, please use the university code of 1465 and department code of 83.
5. Please track your application status through the University Graduate Application Portal.
Questions? Additional information about the Master of Arts program in Communication may be obtained from:
472 ComArtSci Building
404 Wilson Rd.
East Lansing, MI 48824