Outstanding alumni to receive awards during virtual Celebration in May
Each year, the Alumni Board of the MSU College of Arts and Sciences recognizes an esteemed roster of Spartans for their passion and contributions to their chosen professions.
Alumni, family and friends of ComArtSci are invited to save the date for the virtual 2021 The Celebration on Thursday, May 20, from 7-8 p.m. The spring celebration is free and accessible through a soon-to-be provided link. The broadcast will also be available at a later date through the college’s YouTube channel.
Five alumni will receive the Outstanding Alumni Award, an honor recognizing ComArtSci graduates who have obtained the highest level of professional or academic achievement and demonstrated service to the college and community. One alumnus will receive the College’s Rising Star Award for his strong record of accomplishment and service to the community. Members of the faculty and staff will also be honored with leadership and impact awards for their contributions to the College of Communication Arts and Sciences.
This year’s slate of exceptional honorees joins 229 Outstanding alumni and industry professionals recognized by the MSU College of ComArtSci to date. The 2021 ComArtSci Alumni Award honorees include:
- Raymond DeThorne, M.A., ‘81 Advertising; B.A., ‘80 Advertising, Chief Marketing Officer, The Field Museum (Chicago)
- Ryan Field, B.A., ‘99 Journalism, Broadcaster, WABC New York, Channel 7
- Paul Jacobs, B.A., ‘76 Advertising, Vice President, General Manager/President, Managing Partner, Jacobs Media/ jacapps
- Alicia Spoor, B.A., ‘02 Audiology and Speech Sciences, President and Audiologist, Designer Audiology, LLC
- Regina Strong, B.A., ‘83 Journalism, Environmental Justice Public Advocate, Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy
Rising Star Award
- Michael Smiy, B.A., ’12, Advertising, Creative Director and Film Director, MOCEAN
Additional honorary, faculty and staff honorees will be announced in the spring of 2021.
Reflecting their commitment to MSU alumni, excellence and community engagement, MSU Federal Credit Union has served for many years as the event’s premiere sponsor. They will sponsor the event again in 2021. Additional sponsorship opportunities are available. Please email email@example.com for more information.
The Celebration will take place virtually on Thursday, May 20, 2021, with live broadcasts planned for Facebook Live and the college website.