Michigan State University's Sales Leadership Minor is one of the best in the country and the only program of its kind nationwide that leverages the strengths of two nationally ranked colleges: the Eli Broad College of Business and the College of Communication Arts & Sciences, as well as multiple corporate workplaces.
Sales Leadership students have had 100-percent job placement every semester since January of 2010, a year after the program went live. Professional internships comprise an important part of the student experience, as well as 200 hours of additional experiential learning.
As a student in the Sales Leadership program, you will receive a world-class education that incorporates innovative sales and sales management research, service to the business community and outreach initiatives. The program promotes and enhances the field of professional selling and sales management through education, research and outreach, creating synergy between businesses and academia.
Our award-winning faculty are frequently published in leading academic journals, including the Journal of Marketing, Journal of Communication, Journal of Marketing Research, Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management, Industrial Marketing Management, Journal of Academy of Marketing Science and International Journal of Research in Marketing.
The Sales Leadership minor is available to students who are enrolled in bachelor's degree programs at Michigan State University. Preference will be given to students in the Eli Broad College of Business and the College of Communication Arts and Sciences, excluding the School of Hospitality Business. As space permits, students from other colleges desiring the specialization will be considered on an individual basis.
In order to apply to the program, you must be enrolled in MKT 313: Personal Selling and Buying Processes. Applications are due around the mid-semester point and students will be informed o the exact deadline to apply.
To apply to the program, students should complete an application after the midterm in Marketing 313 and submit it to the Sales Leadership Minor Managing Director, Jennifer Rumler, in the Department of Communication.
- Schedule an appointment with an academic advisor from your college to discuss the Sales Leadership Minor: College of Communication Arts and Sciences students should contact Daune Rensing.
- Have your resume critiqued by a professional in one of the many Career Services offices on campus: College of Communication Arts and Sciences students should seek help from the ComArtSci Career Center in 181 Communication Arts and Sciences Building.
- Once you have submitted your application, you will be instructed on how to schedule an interview and take the sales assessment.
- Students are expected to earn at least a 3.0 in MKT 313, however rare exceptions have been made depending on students' circumstances.
- For more information on how to apply, contact Sales Leadership Minor Managing Director, Jennifer Rumler.
COM 483 - Professional Sales Internship
COM 483 is the one-credit Professional Sales Internship, which is offered Fall, Spring and Summer Semester. Students must complete at least one professional sales internship during their time in the minor, and they must be enrolled in credit at the time they complete the work. Students secure internships through career fairs, postings on MSU Handshake or through contact with our corporate partners. Students earn 300 of the 500 required Experiential Learning Hours by successfully completing the internship, which is graded on the 4.0 scale. Grades are given based on four papers focused on their work at the internship site and an evaluation of the student by their on-site supervisor.
Have questions or need more information? Please reach out to:
Sales Leadership Minor Advisor
Sales Leadership Minor Managing Director