David Stearns is a strategic leader with more than 20 years experience building and guiding teams to develop and execute effective communications and marketing campaigns. He has worked with NGOs, Fortune 100 companies and issues-focused advocacy organizations on topics including global health, climate change, democratic governance, human rights, and sustainability.
He currently leads the global communications and marketing team for BSR, leveraging the organization’s unique insights, advice, and thought leadership to build campaigns that help to activate the business and economic transformation necessary to create a more just and sustainable world.
During his career, he has:
- Led a high-impact media campaign for a collaboration of progressive CEOs advocating for an ambitious Paris Climate Agreement;
- Crafted a successful stakeholder engagement plan which garnered policy and funding support for a maternal health partnership in Zambia and Uganda;
- Delivered front page, top-tier media coverage in support of a major economic development project in New York state;
- Worked as a community organizer galvanizing public support for the creation of a new 85-acre public park on the Brooklyn waterfront
- Managed efforts to strengthen parliamentary capacity and voter education efforts while serving as an in-country program officer in South Africa and Zambia.
David was raised in Ann Arbor and has been a resident of Brooklyn, NY since 1999. He earned his BA in Journalism and Political Science from Michigan State University, and his MA from the Elliott School of International Affairs at George Washington University.